Lockheed Martin System Safety Engineer with ESOH experience in Hill Air Force Base, Utah
Description: The coolest jobs on this planet… or any other… are with Lockheed Martin Space!
At the dawn of a new space age, Lockheed Martin is a pioneer, partner, innovator and builder. Our amazing team are on a mission to make a difference in the world and every day we use our unique skills and experiences to create, design and build solutions to some of the worlds’ hardest engineering problems. Our culture encourages employees to dream big, perform with excellence and create incredible products. We provide the resources, inspiration and focus and if you have the passion and courage to dream big, we want to build a better tomorrow with you.
Lockheed Martin Space (LMS) at the Hill Air Force Base has an immediate opportunity for a mid-career System Safety Engineer who wants to be part of this mission. If you have an interest in working for a company that develops national defense systems, come and be a part of our System Safety Team. At Lockheed Martin Space, we are driven by innovation and integrity. We believe that by applying the highest standards of business ethics and visionary thinking, everything is within our reach – and yours -- as a Lockheed Martin employee. Lockheed Martin values your System Safety skills, training, and education. Come and experience your future!
In this System Safety Engineering (SSE) position you will provide support to multiple programs as a member of the Program’s SSE Team as well as
supporting the on site needs for Environmental Safety and Occupational Health. You will ensure that safety is designed into hardware and software products and that controls are incorporated and remain effective while assuring compliance to safety requirements. In addition, you will ensure that risks are identified, mitigation, residual risk accepted, and documented. This role will also require that you review, track, and assess hardware and software changes for hazard impacts, and develop, maintain, and update safety hazard analyses.
As our SSE, your responsibilities will also include the following tasks:
• Develop and/or update Preliminary Hazard List
(PHL), Preliminary Hazard Analysis (PHA), Functional
Hazard Analyses (FHAs), System Hazard Analyses
(SHA), and Safety Assessment Reports (SAR)
• Prepare presentations and participate in Design
Reviews, Test Readiness Reviews, Technical Interchange Meetings, and various working groups and safety review meetings
• Support the development and updating of System
Safety documents to support Customer, Range
Safety, and contractual requirements
• Review and provide input to test procedures for adherence to System Safety requirements
• Coordinate with test range safety teams and writing range safety reports to support testing
• Assist in the development and maintenance of a Hazard Tracking System (HTS) used to document real and potential hazards, their assessments, and their respective mitigations
You will use your system safety experience to evaluate hardware and software ensuring mission success with occasional travel (up to 25%) being required. Work is performed at the LM Space (LMS) building at the
Hill Air Force Base in Utah and will require frequent interaction with multiple external and internal customers.
Our employees working in this level of position typically have Bachelors degree with 5 years of professional experience; or 3 years of professional experience with a related Masters degree. Considered career, or journey, level.
To promote the sharing of ideas, Lockheed Martin fosters an inclusive work environment that encourages differences and big-picture thinking. Lockheed Martin Space offers a total compensation package from competitive wages, on-site medical care, 25 three-day weekends, and healthy living incentives just to name a few reasons to join Lockheed Martin. Learn more about Lockheed Martin’s competitive and comprehensive benefits package:
• Bachelors degree from an accredited college in a related discipline
• Demonstrated knowledge and application of System Safety Standards
• Demonstrated knowledge and application of System Safety design and operations safety principles to include experience with hazard identification, analysis, risk mitigation and associated deliverable documentation.
• Demonstrated ability in identifying safety critical hardware and software.
• Developing, administering, implementing, and maintaining safety and environmental programs in accordance with regulatory requirements
• Assisting in ESH program assessments, critical operations oversight, mishap investigations, and ensure proper documentation of OSHA requirements
• Inspecting facilities, machinery, material handling equipment, and all hazardous test operations in order to identify and correct potential hazards and to ensure regulatory compliance
• Excellent verbal and written English language skills, good communication skills, and ability to interact well in group meeting/working environments with team members, development organizations and customers.
• Proficiency with MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook).
• Secret Security Clearance and US Citizenship required
• Demonstrated knowledge of MIL-STD-882E and its associated System Safety Tasks.
• Demonstrated knowledge of missile ordnance.
• Experience/knowledge with missile programs
• Experience and familiarity with launch vehicle systems such as solid rocket motors; propulsion control; flight dynamics; vehicle system management; fault protection/fault management; launch, flight, and abort operations/processes; and software safety.
• Familiarity with IBM DOORS requirement management database.
• Resourcefulness, creativity, and the ability to take the initiative in development and completion of work projects under minimal supervision.
• Demonstrated knowledge of Cal/OSHA, and Environmental requirements, regulations and associated compliance programs
• ESH experience in subject areas such as industrial safety, material handling, NFPA Life Safety Code, overhead cranes and rigging, lock-out-tag-out, and hazard recognition and other industrial safety programs
• Comfortable in a manufacturing, test, or aerospace environment
• Ability to ensure regulatory compliance with minimal direct supervision.
• Certified Safety Professional certification (CSP) or Certified Industrial Hygienist certification (CIH) or other ESH nationally recognized certifications.
• Strong passion for environmental stewardship and overall compliance.
Lockheed Martin is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Join us at Lockheed Martin, where your mission is ours. Our customers tackle the hardest missions. Those that demand extraordinary amounts of courage, resilience and precision. They’re dangerous. Critical. Sometimes they even provide an opportunity to change the world and save lives. Those are the missions we care about.
As a leading technology innovation company, Lockheed Martin’s vast team works with partners around the world to bring proven performance to our customers’ toughest challenges. Lockheed Martin has employees based in many states throughout the U.S., and Internationally, with business locations in many nations and territories.