ICU Medical Principal Engineer, Molding in Salt Lake City, Utah
Principal Engineer, Molding
The Principal Molding Engineer is responsible for developing and implementing training program for liquid injection molding (LIM) and thermoplastic injection molding. This engineer is a subject matter expert in LIM and thermoplastic processes (mold, material, machine, method) who provides mentoring and coaching to engineers and technicians. This role drives efficiencies, reliability, and product quality in injection molding processes. The Principal Molding Engineer collaborates, manages, and leads complex engineering projects independently with little to no guidance.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
• Immediate Expectations
o Develop, implement and conduct Scientific Molding training program for Liquid Injection Molding and Thermoplastic Injection Molding.
o Guide teams to perform robust validations and in execution of press-tool compatibility optimization efforts.
o Make recommendation for machine and mold improvements.
o Optimize process yield, drive efficiency, reliability, and product quality.
o Lead continuous improvement efforts to improve productivity through cycle time reduction, scrap reduction, and machined downtime reduction.
o Lead continuous improvement activities using design of experiments and other methods to improve efficiencies
o Guide, mentor, and coach the technical support team in achieving goals, use methodical approach for problem solving, implement robust corrective and preventive actions.
o Analyze, plan, organize and complete projects of a very complex nature. Develops scope and provides creative solutions. Integrates subsystems and components in total systems design.
o Represent Molding Engineering to identify possible product modifications to improve manufacturability and impact on automation equipment
o Review, challenge, and improve existing molding procedures and work instructions
o Provide technical expertise/guidance to support CAPA owners
• Long term Expectations
o Keep up to date on injection molding equipment and scientific molding process technology
o Recommend and specify molding equipment including molding machines, EOAT, auxiliary equipment, etc.
o Identify and drive system improvements like vision systems, temperature controllers, robots, and resin analysis
o Lead systematic (Lean / Six Sigma) continuous improvement initiatives like SMED, Jidoka, DMAIC, 5S and STW)
o Maintain product specifications; consult with manufacturing on product non-conformance
o Actively participate in process characterization activities, manufacturing input development for new tools, design reviews, risk management processes
o Manages training new/current employees with respect to documentation, use of equipment, laboratory techniques and department procedures. May routinely monitor or supervise the work of one or more employees. Provides input on performance evaluations to area manager.
Knowledge, Skills & Qualifications
• Master Molder training. Hands-on experience with Scientific Injection Molding and Decoupled Process for Liquid Injection Molding and Thermoplastics with respect to process, tooling, part design, materials, and equipment
• General understanding of mold design best practices, strength of materials, part assembly, fixturing, and testing. Familiarity with SolidWorks.
• Familiar with risk management such as Process Failure Mode Effect Analysis
• Six-Sigma Methodology (DOE, Process Capability, Gage R&R, etc.) - use of Minitab Software for analysis
• Has an advanced understanding of engineering discipline
Education and Experience
• Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university (Engineering or Technology)
• 10 years’ experience
• Must be at least 18 years of age
• Typically requires travel less than 5% of the time
Physical Requirements and Work Environment
• This job operates in a professional office environment and routinely uses standard office equipment.
• Occasionally perform work in a clean room environment
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be required to sit or stand for long periods of time; depending on the machine they are operating
• Must be able to occasionally move and lift objects of up to 25 lbs
ICU Medical is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
Title: Principal Engineer, Molding
Location: UT-Salt Lake City
Requisition ID: 21300038