ICU Medical Senior Engineer, Molding in Salt Lake City, Utah
Senior Engineer, Molding
The Senior Engineer, Molding is responsible for owning and driving injection molding improvements through adherence to established product design, scientific injection molding process, tooling, resin, and equipment. The key responsibility of this position is to lead injection molding resources, manage projects within a product family and take action while adhering to defined procedures. The Sr. Engineer completes advanced engineering projects with peer input and guidance from engineering management. They are a specialist on complex technical and business matters. Their work is highly independent, and they may assume a team lead role for the work group.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
• Immediate Expectations
o Receives general project direction. Responsible for project progress
o Analyzes, plans, organizes and completes projects of a very complex nature. Develops scope and provides creative solutions. Plans, organizes and conducts technical projects. Consolidates results of design elements of major projects for purpose of design review. Integrates subsystems and components in total systems design. Develops specifications from customer requirements.
o Represent Molding Engineering to identify possible product modifications to improve manufacturability and impact on automation equipment
o Implement Molding Engineering activities such as scientific injection molding process development, process monitoring, and tool qualifications
o Lead project timelines for Validation (IQ/OQ/PQ) activities and growth/expansion projects
o Initiate and manage projects with adherence to program management guidelines as they relate to new/existing molding equipment, tooling, and materials
o Analyze and spec equipment performance and identify system improvements like vision systems, temperature controllers, robots, and resin analysis
o Implement Cost Savings - Scrap, De-Cavitation, MUV, DPM, OEE
o Close coordination with the resources assigned to the product family (tool room, Process Engr, Quality Engr)
o Own and manage CAPA tasks and deliverables (Corrective and Preventive)
o Coordinate efforts with the Materials Group to assess vendors and provide materials technical information
o Work on special projects as they arise
o Decisions consistently affect multiple or critical projects in the business and may impact external relationships.
o Delivers communications tailored to the needs of the receiver (managers, peers, customers) with appropriate frequency to maximize its utility and promote cross-functional collaboration. Brings substantive conflicts and disagreements into the open and attempts to resolve them collaboratively; builds consensus
• Long term Expectations
o Lead systematic (Lean / Six Sigma) continuous improvement initiatives like SMED, Jidoka, DMAIC, 5S and STW)
o Maintain product specifications; consult with manufacturing on product non-conformance
o Perform design assessments, active participation in design reviews, risk management processes
o Network with senior internal and external personnel
o Intellectual Property review and assessment
o Manages training new/current employees with respect to documentation, use of equipment, laboratory techniques and department procedures. May routinely monitor or supervise the work of one or more employees. Provides input on performance evaluations to area manager.
Knowledge, Skills & Qualifications
• Understanding of strength of materials, automation, thermoplastic and LSR injection molding, part assembly, fixturing, testing, and process control techniques
• Risk Management-> FMEA generation
• Six-Sigma Methodology (DOE, Process Capability, Gage R&R, etc.) - use of Minitab Software for analysis
• Knowledge of the Medical Device Industry and familiarity with FDA QSR regulations
• Master Molder training / certification or proof of understanding of the Scientific Injection Molding model; process, tooling, part design, materials, and equipment
• Has mastered best practices. Has an advanced understanding of engineering discipline
• Can assess what work supports the product strategy and make insightful recommendations regarding priorities
• Expert in your domain of expertise. Familiar in other areas of domain expertise within the team.
Education and Experience
• Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university (Engineering or Technology)
• 7 years’ experience
• Must be at least 18 years of age
• Typically requires travel less than 5% of the time
Physical Requirements and Work Environment
• This job operates in a professional office environment and routinely uses standard office equipment.
• Occasionally perform work in a clean room environment
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be required to sit or stand for long periods of time; depending on the machine they are operating
• Must be able to occasionally move and lift objects of up to 25 lbs
ICU Medical is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
Title: Senior Engineer, Molding
Location: UT-Salt Lake City
Requisition ID: 21300016