L3Harris Sr Assoc, Manufacturng Engrg in Salt Lake City, Utah
Job Title: Manufacturing Engineer
Job Code: MFP2
Job Location: 640 N 2200 W SLC, UT (BLDG D)
We are a mission-driven team of collaborators, doers, and problem-solvers relentlessly committed to a culture of safety and state of the art high quality products. As part of a passionate and accomplished team of Manufacturing Engineers, you will directly impact the future of the next generation of wireless communication data links. You will also share in the team’s impact on all aspects of machining, including translating engineering intent, drawings, and configurations into consistent manufacturing processes which focus on quality and repeatability. You will work closely with design engineers, CNC programmers, machinists of varying skill levels, and tool design engineers to develop machining processes for tight tolerance and complex data link components.
As a manufacturing engineer you will be directly responsible for reviewing new designs, refining drawings, providing feedback, and championing/developing the accompanying process, setup sheet, and CNC program which ultimately will be used to produce the part. To put everything into perspective, we manage over 10,000 unique machined and fabricated parts and the average shop order quantity is 3. We are an IRAD, prototype, quick-turn, low volume, high mix machine and fabrication shop.
▪ Bachelor's degree in Engineering or technical field, with 2+ years of relevant experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
▪ Continuous Improvement Oriented
▪ Working knowledge of Metrology and Calibration
▪ Strong PC skills: Must be proficient in Microsoft Excel, Word and PowerPoint. Experience with SharePoint, SAP, and Teamcenter is preferred.
▪ Experience using structured query language (SQL) to manipulate and manage data
▪ Must demonstrate sound written / oral communication skills.
▪ Must be able to work overtime/non-standard shifts, as required.
▪ In-depth knowledge of precision metal fabrication and machining processes
▪ 2+ years defining manufacturing processes for machining, including tool selection, feeds, speeds, tool path, work holding, etc
▪ 2+ years designing/documenting work holding fixtures for CNC machining.
▪ 2+ years CNC programming for lathes and mills with advanced CAM Software. Preferably MasterCAM.
▪ Experience machining (or programming for) 6061-T6 Aluminum
▪ Proficiency reading engineering prints and interpreting GD&T per ASME Y14.5
▪ Experience in CAD modeling (NX and/or SE experience a plus).
▪ Experience in Additive Manufacturing preferred. Plastics and/or metal.
Duties and Responsibilities:
▪ Develop and document detailed production process plans.
▪ Design work holding fixtures for CNC machining operations.
▪ Select cutting techniques and tools with a focus on efficient metal removal.
▪ Develop CNC programs for lathe and mill operations.
▪ Create detailed machine setup and run instructions.
▪ Support machinists throughout the manufacturing process.
▪ Investigate and implement solutions for non-conforming products
▪ Participate in improvement projects and corrective action requests
▪ Assure product and process quality
▪ Apply Design for Manufacturing (DFM) principles and analysis techniques to product designs.
▪ Participate on product development IPTs to ensure producibility; provide design engineers manufacturing/process capability information during product development.
▪ Interface with program’s design engineering, test engineering, quality, procurement and management staff as required to drive attainment of program’s production objectives (cost, throughput, yields, etc.)
▪ Working knowledge of ISO-9001:2015 and AS9100:2016
▪ Create, generate, and manage department metrics reports for rework, scrap, and first pass yield.
▪ Part cost estimation, budget analysis, estimation of time standards for process steps, generate capital expenditure requests ensuring returns on investments, etc
Please be aware many of our positions require the ability to obtain a security clearance. Security clearances may only be granted to U.S. citizens. In addition, applicants who accept a conditional offer of employment may be subject to government security investigation(s) and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
L3Harris Technologies is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. L3Harris is committed to treating all employees and applicants for employment with respect and dignity and maintaining a workplace that is free from unlawful discrimination. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or other related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, characteristic or membership in any other group protected by federal, state or local laws. L3Harris maintains a drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing and background checks, where permitted by law.